1. What’s your middle name?
Ann according to my birth certificate though I never use my middle name.
2. Where were you born?
Quezon City, Manila
3. Where have you lived and where do you live now?
For most part of my childhood, I lived in the province of Bicol with my grandparents. I’ve spent 6 ½ years in Manila but my parents decided to moved in Bicol when I started 1st grade until high school. I’ve moved to Manila again for college and stayed there for almost 2 years. I now live in Chicago for almost 11 years. I would probably live in Mars 600 years from now 🙂
4. What do you do for work? Are you in your desired profession or are you working toward something else (what?)?
Right now, I work full time in a financial institution in downtown Chicago. I prefer to work as an environmentalist or something to do with animals (zoo perhaps?) . When I was a kid, I wanted to be a writer and a teacher but I realized that I don’t really have the patience to teach children. I am pursuing a career in IT business.
5. Do you collect anything? (If so, what?)
Yes, I am a junkie. I collect basically anything I like. I collect: used stamps, foreign coins, books, manga (Japanese comics), stationery, postcards and newspaper clippings.
6. Do you have a particular affinity for anything?
Animals especially dogs, cats and birds (I am a proud parent of 6 cockatiel birds! Yeah!), green tea, books, coffee, shopping (?).
7. What’s your view on religion and/or spirituality? I believe in God and though I am not really spiritual, someday I know He will come.
Growing up (childhood/teenage years):
1. What is your most vivid memory?
The first thing that come to mind is…jogging on the weekends with my parents & siblings. A day in the park, a picnic with my cousins, and hiking with my friends. Also, my cousins and I would stay up late at night playing this game called “Patintero” and we used to have a bonfire and roast kamote or bananas. Gosh! I missed those days!
2. What is the most random memory you’ve recently remembered? I have this grade school classmate who came to class (everyday!) with a huge booger on her nose, a breath like a rotten veggie…
3. What was your favorite toy (one for all of your different ‘phases’ is okay)?
Barbie doll! Nah, I never own one. I love yo-yo.
4. What was your favorite book? Did you read it again as an adult? How did your perception of the book change, or did it? Growing up in the city with a lot of different things around me to pass by the time, reading books is not my priority. I remember that I used to watch all the crappy shows all day long on weekends and I sort of liked the idea of wasting my time. My Dad used to complain then why I keep on watching television. I kind of admire my Dad how he had so much fun reading books by George Eliot, Mark Twain, Shakespeare, Ernest Hemingway and Pearl Buck. One day, as I was rummaging through my Dad’s books, I found this book “The Gift of Acabar” by Og Mandino and as I leaf from pages to pages, it gave me the energy and curiosity to read the book from page one to the last page. Later that night I asked my Dad that I went through his stuff earlier and I innocently confessed to him that I like reading the Gift of Acabar. The book gave me new perspective about certain things in life and later that week, I received a present from my Dad. It’s my very own copy of The Gift of Acabar he bought on the way home from work. I was so happy I could cry. I re-read the story so many times in my life and I am glad that my Dad didn’t gave up on me J
5. Were you indoors or outdoors more often? I like being outdoors especially during spring, summer and fall seasons. I prefer to stay indoors on winter as I can’t barely stand the frigid and freezing weather here in Chicago.
6. What music did you listen to (again, by ‘phase’ is okay)?
Mostly 80’s & early 90s music especially new wave and emotional ballads from Whitney Houston, Dionne Warwick, Taylor Dayne etc. I listen to a variety of music like the Beatles, Guns n Roses, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Tears for Fears, Eva Cassidy, Corinne Bailey Rae, Enigma, Nat King Cole, Josh Kelley, Jason Mraz and Japanese/Korean music.
7. Were you radically different as a teenager than you are now? If so, how? Not sure about radically different but I think I am more self confident, mature, and open-minded now compared when I was a teenager. Through the years, I learned to be more open-minded about the views and opinions from other people and not being critical on certain issues.
8. Given the choice, would you have preferred video games, board games, or the arcade?
Well, this is a hard one. I am not a video or arcade games fan but I can certainly assure you that I absolutely enjoy playing board games! Scrabble, anyone?
1. If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why?
Superhero? Let‘s see…I would really like to have Superman’s strength, Wolverine’s courage, Optimus Prime’s leadership and Wonder Woman’s beauty!
2. What’s your favorite color and why?
RED! I love RED! I just think it’s a happy color and they say that people who like red are passionate. So, I guess I am a passionate person J
3. What type of animal is your favorite? Why?
Domestically speaking, I like dogs. They are so cute and cuddly and they give you so much love without being prejudiced.
4. Not considering anything except looks (ignore gas mileage, cost, etc), what vehicle would be your next purchase? Hybrid car…environment wise!
5. Name three things you’re good at.
Cooking, shopping, and reading!
6. Name three hobbies that you’ve had in the past.
Collecting song hits even though I am not particularly musically inclined. I think, I’ve spent half of my allowance on song hits and my Mom used to complain about it.
7. What hobbies are you currently pursuing? Hmmm, crocheting or knitting. Nah, I am so bad with those so I’ll stick to reading and blogging.
8. What kinds of music do you listen to (no cop-outs on this question… I want specifics!)?
Neo soul/neo jazz, pop, world music, oldies…something that will relax and stimulates the mind.
9. Do you prefer movies or television? Why?
Movies because they are easier to watch. I mean, I don’t have to wait for another week to know what’s gonna be in store for the main characters in the TV shows.
10. What TV shows have you watched all episodes of? Smallville, I think.
11. What type of movie is your favorite and why? On this question, I’d like a description of the genre or style, not specific movies (but maybe as examples).
Probably chic flicks. Any movie with a good sense of humor, a little romance, adventure, mystery and a great story line will do.
12. How do you recharge when you’re physically and/or mentally worn out? Reading a good book with a cup of coffee next to me.
13. Tell me something I don’t know about you.
Do you really want to know? Call me…J
14. Tell me a strange habit that you have.
I prefer to remain silent about this as I am strange enough to write something strange about my strange habit.
15. Write a haiku.
I have to think about this one….
16. Describe your favorite article of clothing.
Cool, hippie and unique clothing style but not enough weirdness to it that people would think I am a Martian.
17. Describe your favorite used-item purchase (e.g. from a thrift store, resale shop, antique store, etc).
Prada purse! Bought it for 8 bucks and after I cleaned & shined it, looks more like worth a million bucks! J
18. What kinds of food are “comfort food” to you? Do you make it yourself?
Home cooked meals by Mom….feels more like home to me.
19. What makes you feel “old?” Does it worry you, or do you laugh about it?
Constant nagging from my siblings. They give me enough headaches and wrinkles. I don’t worry too much about my looks but I do think about how I would look like 25 years from now. Yeah, I imagine creepiness is not impossible.
20. Recommend three websites: one blog link, one serious link, and one humorous link.
Serious link: www.discoverychannel.com